June 30, 2013
I know I didn’t do a very sizable blog post yesterday… this was because I was working on a field report for the data we collected in the mangrove swamps. I told you I’d post some of the data and an analysis once I analyzed it, so that’s what I’ll do. Here’s a summarization of my report.
For part 1, we hypothesized how mangroves would change as a function of salinity. Based on my data, I made the assertion that mangroves change because some are more effective at growing in freshwater but can’t survive a salinity that other mangroves can thrive beyond. This was partially true, but there was hardly a straight correlation between the two estuaries we sampled (Sapwalap and Soundau) and salinity, indicating that while salinity is a factor, there are many, many other factors at play (which is to be expected. This is a tropical estuary, not a lab).
For part 2, we identified the different mangroves we saw. I already did this in excruciating detail on my day 3 post, so I’ll save you from having to read even more of my overly verbose diction.
In part 3, I talked about the methods we used to find the distribution of mangroves at certain salinities. To make sure our data was comprehensive and scientifically applicable, we took the exact time of our stop at a certain location and took the coordinates with a GPS. Once we did that, we measured the salinity of the water. We took salinity measurements only at the entrance of the estuary going in and going to see how the tidal flux affected salinity, but for all other measurements, we actually headed into the mangrove swamps.
After we headed into the swamps, we found a partner to pair up with (the same partner for all sites on one estuary) and each of us would survey the number of mangroves in a 20-30 meter radius. More specifically, we would count the number of each genus we could find. We wrote down these numbers and the genera in our Rite in the Rain notebooks with their associated Rite in the Rain pens, hopped into the boat,went to the next station, and repeated the process.
I didn’t go into some of the mangrove swamps, so I did my surveying with Ashley Maloney (a grad student on the trip) from the boat. For the last three stops on the Soundau estuary, I surveyed around three boat lengths (20-30 meters) for different species.
Alright, here’s the moment you’ve all been waiting for: the data. The tables above each graph are the actual raw data we used to make that graph. Unless you have really good eyes, it’s hard to read the tables, so just click on them for the original version or zoom in on your computer.
7.) The coolest thing is that the Rhysofera stylus can be used to defog a snorkel mask and keep it defogged. I didn’t believe it until I tried it myself. It’s amazing.
I’m trying to upload some videos of the storms yesterday but they aren’t working. I am assuming that this is because of the slow internet connection. I’ll give it another shot, but I doubt they will be able to upload. In the future, I will take shorter videos.
Finished 2:47 P.M. 6/30/13